May 20, 2022 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 22V362000
A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source can increase the risk of a fire. Air intake into the fuel hose increases the risk of engine stalling, increasing the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 22V362
Manufacturer Isuzu Technical Center of America, Inc.
Components FUEL SYSTEM, DIESEL
Potential Number of Units Affected 154
Isuzu Technical Center of America, Inc. (Isuzu) is recalling certain FTR and FVR trucks. The quick connector used to connect the fuel suction hose to the fuel inlet pipe of the engine is too large. The larger diameter of the quick connector may cause inadequate sealing, resulting in a fuel leak. In addition, the gap may cause air to be sucked into the fuel hose while the engine is running.
Dealers will replace the quick connector with the correct size quick connector, free of charge. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on June 24, 2022. Owners may contact Isuzu’s customer service at 1-866-441-9638. Isuzu’s number for this recall is V2201.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.nhtsa.gov.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
FUEL LINE QUICK CONNECTOR REPLACEMENT – 22V-362
(Transport Canada 2022-265)
- 2022MY Isuzu F-Series Vehicles Produced Through January 31, 2022
Isuzu Motors Limited has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2022MY Isuzu F-Series vehicles produced through January 31, 2022. In the affected vehicles, the quick connector used to connect the fuel suction hose to the fuel inlet pipe of the engine was incorrectly sized with a larger quick connector. Because of the larger diameter of the quick connector, the sealing performance at this connection point is inadequate, resulting in the possibility of diesel fuel leakage from the connection point during the manufacturing or servicing process, which potentially increases the risk of a fire. It is also possible that the gap may allow outside air to be sucked into the fuel hose while the engine is running. Air intake into the fuel hose potentially increases the risk of engine stalling, which could lead to a crash.
Involved are 2022MY Isuzu F-Series vehicles produced through January 31, 2022.
|8-97272-194-0||FITTING; FUEL INLET||1|
- Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
- Per the instructions in the applicable Work Shop Manual (WSM), safely tilt the cab and install the safety lock pin.
- Locate the larger, forward most flexible fuel feed hose where it connects to the left side of the engine. (See Figures 1 and 2.)
- Place a drip pan on the ground underneath this hose to catch any residual fuel when the line is disconnected.
- Pull the lock tabs of the red lock to the rear of the quick-connect fitting while lifting the lock upwards to the unlocked position. (See Figures 3 and 4.)
- With the quick-connect fitting in the unlocked position, pull the flexible fuel feed hose straight outwards to disconnect it from the engine.
- Use a pair of pliers to loosen and slide back the clamp that holds the quick-connect fitting in place. Slide the clamp approximately two inches back on the flexible fuel feed hose.
- Remove the old quick-connect fitting with the red lock. Twist the fitting as necessary to remove it from the fuel feed hose. Discard the old quick-connect fitting with the red lock.
- Insert the barbed portion of the new quick-connect fitting with blue lock into the flexible fuel feed hose. Ensure that the new fitting seats all the way up to the hose stopper. (See Figures 5 and 6.)
- Before putting the clamp back into place, test fit the connector onto the engine and rotate it as necessary to ensure that the blue lock is pointing straight towards the rear of the engine within a 90º arc. (See Figure 7.)
- Remove the quick-connect fitting from the engine and use a pair of pliers to install the clamp back in place. Apply a paint mark over the hose, clamp, and new fitting. (See Figure 8.)
- Push the new fitting onto the engine and listen for a “click”. Push the blue lock tab towards the fitting until it is in the locked position. (See Figures 9 and 10.)
- Adjust both fuel hoses as shown in Figure 11. The smaller return flexible fuel hose attaches to the clips on top of the larger fuel feed hose.
- Clean up any residual fuel and remove the drip pan.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.
- Per the instructions in the applicable WSM, remove and properly stow the safety lock pin and tilt the cab back down. Ensure the cab is locked into place.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of the vehicle, or ownership. Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to perform the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. Program follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the owner notification letter has not yet been approved by NHTSA or sent to customers.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service, you must take the steps necessary to ensure the recall remedy has been implemented before selling or releasing the vehicle.
As required by Federal law, dealers are not to deliver any new vehicle in their inventory, which is covered by a Safety Recall, until the necessary remedy has been performed.
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using IVIS (Isuzu Vehicle Information System). Not all vehicles may be involved.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing of involved vehicles containing the complete vehicle identification numbers has been or will be provided. Dealers will not have a report available if they have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
This section will be updated when an approved owner letter is available.
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
573.6 (c) (6) (7)
Describe the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance decision: (2000)
On March 22, 2022, Isuzu North America Corporation’s (INAC) production team was informed by a staff member of Builtmore, the Charlotte, Michigan factory that assembles current Isuzu F-series trucks, that a fuel leak had been detected on several trucks after a line worker primed the fuel pump. (The F-series is comprised exclusively of diesel trucks.) Priming the fuel pump is a step toward the end of the production process necessary to facilitate fuel flow to the engine and to purge air from the fuel line.
INAC QA, together with Isuzu Motors Limited (IML) and Isuzu Technical Center of America, Inc. (ITCA) (collectively, Isuzu), promptly launched an investigation; and a manufacturing plant Stop Ship was instituted as to completed vehicles on March 28, 2022. At the time this manufacturing plant Stop Ship was instituted, no vehicles produced after January 31, 2022 had been shipped from the plant to dealers, body builders, etc.
Isuzu determined that the wrong size quick connector fitting had been spec’d for these trucks. The fitting for the quick connector used to connect the fuel suction hose to the fuel inlet pipe of the engine was spec’d as Ø12.6 mm when it should have been Ø11.8 mm. On April 18, 2022 a running change in production was implemented to use the correct size fitting for the quick connector. Vehicles assembled between March 28 and April 18 did not leave Isuzu’s control (and were not shipped) until after the incorrect fitting was replaced with a correct one. However, Isuzu continued its investigation into the consequences of the error and specifically whether the issue presented an unreasonable risk to motor vehicle safety.
Isuzu’s investigation indicated that because the improperly sized fitting was on the suction side of the fuel supply system, actual diesel fuel leakage could occur during the fuel pump priming process in the factory, or during a similar process that occurs when the fuel system requires service. Isuzu believes it is unlikely that an ignition source sufficient to ignite diesel fuel would be present in the factory or service center. Isuzu also concluded that diesel fuel leakage is unlikely when the vehicle is running, because the fuel suction hose is not pressurized. Isuzu notes that the exhaust pipe is on the other side of the engine from the fuel suction hose. For these two reasons, Isuzu concluded that ignition resulting from fuel leakage while the vehicle is running is unlikely. However, Isuzu cannot completely rule out the possibility that diesel fuel leakage could occur away from a factory or service center.
Isuzu also ran some test drives of trucks containing the wrong quick connector fitting to determine if there were any consequences on engine operation, such as stalling. While Isuzu’s tests did not demonstrate any stalling events, Isuzu cannot completely rule out the possibility that air pockets in the fuel suction line could compromise the flow of fuel to the engine and potentially result in an engine stall.
Isuzu has received no warranty claims related to this issue, nor is it aware of any crashes or injuries associated with this issue.
On May 13, 2022, and in an abundance of caution, Isuzu made a determination to conduct a safety recall to address this issue in the affected vehicles in the field (the majority of which are believed still to be in the possession of Isuzu dealers).
2 Affected Products
6 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Miscellaneous Document- Chronology
Defect Notice 573 Report
Remedy Instructions and TSB
Latest Recalls Documents
- 125 quick splicers for gauges 22-18 (T-tap female) Red 50PCS; 16-14 Blue 50PCS; and 12-10 gauge Yellow 25PCS .
- Make quick wiring splices without the need to strip wires or use solder
- Just insert wires and squeeze to make fast, secure connections
- Join 2 lengths of wire together or tap into existing line. Durable insulating thermoplastic clam body, resealable
- Non-corroding metal contact blade
- [PREMIUM QUALITY]: Thick brass in the wire connectors ensures strong secure crimping every time, providing small voltage drop, high current flow, and less heat. These will prevent short circuits and problematic wiring that inferior connectors are known for
- [DURABILITY]: Each terminal in the electrical connectors kit features a thick tinned brass that resists corrosion to hold the wire tight when crimped.
- [COLOR and SIZE]: The connector assortment includes red (AWG 22, AWG 21, AWG 20, AWG 19, AWG 18, AWG 17, AWG 16), blue (AWG 16, AWG 15, AWG 14) and yellow (AWG 12, AWG 11 , AWG 10) nylon spade connectors that can be used on wire AWG from 22 to 10. Red, blue and yellow indicate different gauge size of electrical connectors for easy identification when using.
- [WIDE APPLICATIONS]: Compliant with all electrical standards, perfect for house and automobile applications, whether you are working on your vehicle, home or scientific project, our quick connector wire connectors will ensure sure everything bond correctly
- [TICONN BRAND QUALITY COMMITMENT]: We stand behind the quality of our products. If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, please contact us. We provide 30-day money back and 12-month warranty. 100% Satisfaction for risk-free shopping!
- Value Pack: Hose quick connect package include 6 female and 6 male hose aluminum quick connectors, 6 extra garden hose rubber washers. Can be replaced at will, convenient for daily use.
- Easy Connect: Not need a lot of effort, can be easily installed and removed, plus rubber handle design makes it open/close the hose easily.
- Tight & Secure: Premium aluminum material make it stronger, tight thread design, preventing leaks, decay and cracking. Easy to connect and disconnect, can be used for a long time.
- Universal: This hose aluminum quick connect fits all standard 3/4 inch US thread garden hose connection. Perfect for any garden hose, pressure washer, RV, faucet, camper, boat, lawn sprinkler.
- Good Service: We will serve you wholeheartedly, if you have any quality problems, you can contact us at any time.
- 【 Premium Brass Construction】Made of high quality brass material. Durability & leak-free.
- 【Widely Application】Standard 3/4" brass garden hose thread works great with any Garden hose thread sprayer, sprinklers, faucet, lances, nozzle and other irrigation accessories.
- 【No Leak】Pruduce by precision process, easy on and off, pull back female connector and insert male connetor. The hose thread could connect hose tightly with no leak.
- 【Can Stand Up to 200 PSI】Quick Connector stand up to 200 PSI, offer continuous water flow.
- 【Package Includes】: 6 x brass male quick connectors, 6 x brass female swivel connectors, 6 x rubber self locking washers.
- ★【Heavy Solid HQMPC Garden Hose Quick Connect】Our 3 sets HQMPC garden hose quick connect weights 12.8 Ounce,other competitors looks same but just weights 8 Ounce. Just 2/3 of our weight. So please check the Brand before you buy,our brand is HQMPC not others. The best quality of the garden hose quick connectors.
- ★【Durable And Solid Brass Construction Water Hoses Connector】-The most solid brass which means durability & leak-free. No cheap and flimsy aluminum or plastic material.Standard 3/4 inch GHT water hose quick connector fits all types of garden hoses. You can save much time using the quick connet sets install in spigot, hose end and nozzle.
- ★【Quick Connect Garden Hose Fittings Can Stand Up to 200 PSI】-Stand up to 200 PSI,gives the Easy Connect Fitting continuous water flow and it’s a great tool to complete your garden accessories and water hose connect.Easy to connect and disconnect.
- ★【Quick & Easy Connector】- 1-Handed Operation.Convenient to install with garden hose connector.Easy Off-And-On adapter provides a tight, secure Fit, no-Leak connection.Just need several seconds to install it on your water hose end.
- ★【Water Hose Quick Connect with 3 Years Warranty】The best brass garden quick connectors for your garden hose.You can reply on our service of 3 years gurantee. Just order HQMPC brass garden hose quick connectors with your prime. If you have any slightest problem with these products,we will 100% refund to you or replace a new set for you
- 5 Set 10PCS garden hose quick connect, 5PCS male and 5PCS female quick release hose connector, Made from high quality aluminum.
- Quick& Easy Connect: Easy to use and reliable, rubberized grips design for easy on/off for hose.
- Standard 3/4 inches aluminum quick disconnect garden water hose it’s perfect for garden hoses and power pressure washer, RVs, boat or anywhere there's a standard 3/4" garden water hose hookup, work with your camper, sprayers, nozzle, tree soaker etc.
- Very helpful and time saving when switching to different devices that hook up to a garden hose.
- Notice: Used for garden watering tools only, Used with a pressure under 60 psi.
- 【Package Content and Electronic Manual】20 Kits waterproof electrical connectors 2 pin with male & female terminal and silicone rubber cable seal, 2 pin waterproof connectors: a total of 20 sets of automotive connectors waterproof are included, Ideal for 16-22 AWG wires. Please download the operating instructions first before use.
- 【High Quality of Automotive Pin Connectors】Automotive electrical connectors 2 pin are made of high quality environmental-friendly materials, with high chemical stability, electrical conductivity, waterproof, dustproof and safe. Buckle design of gm electrical connectors quick connect 2 pin ensures accurate and complete insertion of the contact in the housing and prevents it from slipping out of the wire harness connectors 2 pin, can also be easily removed when needed.
- 【Excellent Performance of Automotive Wire Connectors 2 pin】The automotive connectors 2 pin use high-precision copper plating process to improve conductivity, easy to install under soldering and crimping, reliable safe connection, no loose, and lightweight. Weather-pack connectors 2 pin are perfect automotive replacement ignition plug connectors.
- 【Widely Applications of Pin Connectors Kit】Wire connectors automotive are great for various 12v connectors 2 pin of motorcycle, truck, marine, jet ski, scooter, car, and boat etc. Believe that our quick disconnect wire connectors 2 pin can give you a great help.
- 【Service Guarantee of 2 Pin Connector】If you have any dissatisfaction with the quick connect wire connectors or the size of the 2 pin trailer connector, we can offer you 365 days payment refund guarantee, we guarantee a 100% return and give you a full refund for waterproof connector 2 wire. Sincerely wish you a happy shopping!
- ★【Garden Hose Quick Connect Set】-Garden hose quick connector includes:3 female brass connector + 6 male brass connectors to build up quick switching system.
- ★【Durable and Solid Water Hose Quick Connect】-durability & leak-free. No cheap and flimsy aluminum or plastic material.Standard 3/4 inch GHT water hose quick connector fits all types of garden hoses. working perfectly with any 3/4" GHT(garden hose thread) spigot, hose end and nozzle.
- ★【Great Time And Effort Saver Water Hose Connect】-Garden Hose Quick Connectors, easy to install on 3/4" standard spigot, hosed end and nozzle. Quick switching for different nozzles, sprinklers, and watering equipments. No need to screw and un-screw everytime. No flow stopper, no water pressure reducing.
- ★【Stand To 200 PSI】-gives the Easy Connect Fitting continuous water flow and it’s a great tool to complete your garden accessories and water hose connect.Easy to connect and disconnect. Quick release allows for easy removal of hose.
- ★【Water Hose Easy Connect】The best quick connectors for garden hose, we provide 3 years gurantee. Just order them with your prime. If you have any slightest problem with these products,we will 100% refund to you or replace a new set for you
- 【Package includes】 4 female brass quick connectors, 4 male brass quick connectors, 4 garden hose washers, no leakage.
- 【Heavy duty brass matierial】 Standard 3/4" GHT hose connector, works with all kinds of garden hose. Female and male connectors are made of high quality brass.
- 【Quick connect, easy setting】 Easy on and off, pull back female connector and insert male connetor，can withstands 60 PSI of pressure.
- 【Universal design, multiple ways of usage】 Standard American hose thread, works with faucet, cramper, sprayer, sprinkler, nozzle, tree soaker, etc.
- 【After-sale Service】We provide you with 3-year warranty, please feel free to contact us if there are any problems with the product,our service team will provide full replacement and refunds.
- Includes 4 female quick connectors and 4 male quick connectors, premium aluminum material make it strongest construction for prolonged service life.
- Universal: Standard 3/4" aluminum garden hose quick connectors fits all garden hose, watering devices, jets, sprinkler, nozzle etc.
- Easy Connect: Easy to use and reliable, rubberized grips design for easy on/off for hose.
- Made with precision process, no leaking and durable, easy to connect and disconnect.
Last update on 2022-07-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.